Thursday, August 21, 2008

new places, new faces...

Here I am, in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, living in a teeny, expensive apartment with Magnolia trees outside located not too far from the school which in 4 days, I'll attend. The unpacking is STILL coming along, and I take comfort in the fact that eventually it will be done and the first place that has ever been completely and totally mine. Feelings so far? a) I'm absolutely loving my independence and living alone. I think everyone should do this at one point or another. b) I'm feeling a bit melancholy about the fact that I really am not going back to Lubbock. I mean I've "known" it for a while, but I've caught myself several times this summer saying "Oh, when I go back to Lubbock for the fall..." and now it's really hitting me. Graduating early = all my friends are still in Lubbock, and I will miss them all so much! My old apartment, my roommates, my friends from all groups, my classmates and professors, my coworkers and office... it feels so weird to know that all of that will just go on without me while I'm a zillion miles away. Okay, this one's getting sad, so next emotion... c) I'm nervous about classes... first day of grad classes? I feel too young to be doing this, unprepared, like I'm going to completely forget the last six years of my life during which I've been learning this little thing I like to call the French language. I'll probably forget the word for "cheese" on my first day of class or something terrifyingly humiliating like that, but we'll see how it goes. And finally... d) I'm excited about the fact that I get a fresh start! New place, new people, new life! It's a world of new and I'm ready to take it on. I've already been warmly welcomed by the other students in the department, and I'm excited to meet more people in the French department and otherwise! So on this super-long initial post, let's end on that happy note: while I'm so thankful for everything in my life up until this point and I miss all the people who've influenced me and played a part in that life (DFW, Lubbock, and elsewhere... ), I am excited and ready for all of the new I'm about to encounter!

No comments: