Thursday, December 11, 2008

writing in a winter wonderland...

Well, I woke up today at 7:30 to a text message from my friend Rosie telling me that it was snowing. SNOWING. In Baton Rouge, LOUISIANA. Southern Louisiana. The last time it snowed here was in 1988. Alas, I opened my blinds to see a ton of people running around in the snow. With their dogs. With their dogs in little sweaters (seriously?). My response? "Huh." And then I got back into bed and slept. After living in Lubbock, snow = not that exciting. Especially when you have to be writing a paper.

Well, I haven't posted on here in about a bazillion years. Here's the update on my life: I'm tired of grad school. Grad school and its pressures and politics. I'm overwhelmed in work and I'm overwhelmed in school. Surprise! Good news? I'm taking French linguistics classes next semester rather than French literature courses... and I'm pretty sure I'm never going to take a French lit class again, or any other lit class, for that matter. Turns out I'm interested in literature, but for fun, not for my life's purpose. Linguistics is a much better fit.

Soo basically, of my 4 papers (one 5 pages, two 10 pages, and 1 15 pages) due in the past week, I've finished the shorter one, and 2 of the longer ones. I now have 1 page paper (15 pages) left. Bad news? It was due today at 4:00 and I have not even finished reading for it, let alone started thinking/researching/outlining/writing. Fun times. I'm taking an incomplete, and hopefully finishing it before Monday or Tuesday. Also, I have a bunch of work stuff, I'm giving a final for a friend, and I have the department Christmas party... which reminds me, I need to cook something.

But! In a mere 8 days, I will be travelling home to the Lone Star State. I will eat Rosa's, Chipotle, and Chicken Express. I will sleep in a double bed. I will see my family. I will see my puppydogs. I will park by my house, and not far away in a garage. I will play the piano. I will drive, not walk, to school. I will play MarioKart. I will go to the chiropractor (I'm actually really, really excited about this one). I will not read, write, speak, or think in French for a couple weeks. And I will see all my best friends, and feel at home.

I'm SO EXCITED! :) Light at the end of the tunnel... all of things things are keeping me alive right now. It's CHRISTMASTIME! I'm excited for lights, and hot chocolate, and Christmas movies, and Christmas music, and Christmas Eve church, and good food! YAY!

Okay, I'm off to read 17th century tragedies and compare the spatial represenations and interiority of characters. You jealous?

No comments: